Monday, January 16, 2012

Week of January 9, It's My Party

Hey Everyone! It's my birthday! Wayne's World! Party time!
On to some cool shit.


1) PBS Frontline: The Perfect Terrorist
What better way to kick off my birthday celebration than with a heart-lifting story of an American terrorist? I know, right?


Freaky-looking David Coleman Headley was one of the "masterminds" behind the Mumbai terrorist attack in 2008. I hate the use of the word master in this instance. He isn't a master of anything, just a crazy mofo who wants to kill people. Fuck that shit. And don't get all "religion this" and "religion that" on me. People kill because they have violence and hatred within them (we all do to a certain extent). No religious document condones violence and hate. It's merely the excuse, not the cause. So don't go all hatin' on it.                                        


2) Haiti: Where Did The Money Go?
You all donated money after the devastating earthquake, now see how the country is doing two years later. (Spoiler alert) not very well. Check out a clip here. Also, my brother edited this film in its entirety. Pretty damn good, huh? Check out Michele Mitchell's company website Film @ 11. It will be airing on PBS in the New York/NJ area on January 17 at 10pm. (check your local PBS schedule). 



3) Mary J. Blige's versions of One and I Guess That's Why They Call it The Blues

In my humble-ass opinion, Mary J. Blige is our greatest living (actively working) singer. So when you take two of the most perfectly written songs in popular music and combine them with her vocals, you get an explosion of sorts. She does that thing that only great singers can do; teeters on the edge of almost fucking up and perfection, making the song Mary's song. Listening to those two renderings exhausts me. Mmhmm girlfriend 'snap' 'snap'.

4) Hunt Slonem, the painter

How badass is this painter? He paints parrots and butterflies and Abe Lincoln among other things. Love this stuff. Ah, to paint.


5) The Mountaintop




It's MLK's birthday, so here is a little nod to that. The Mountaintop is a play I saw in London a couple of years ago. One of those "hey! I'm in London! I should go to the Theaytor!" So I saw this. It's a fictional account of MLK's last night. It's a really good play. The only thing is that you see him as a human being so you have to kind of accept that. If you don't want to, then maybe it's best not to see it. He wasn't exactly a saint.
                                                                                                                                           


On another topic, is anybody as pissed as me that Joran Van fuckface Sloot is only getting 28 years for first degree murder? What do people think he's gonna do when he gets out, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment