Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I'm no fashionista but...

With every new fashion trend, there are infinite possibilities of Faux Pas'. While Fashion has become somewhat democratic with the advent of cool stores like H&M, Zara and Top Shop, it is rare for me to walk in the street -- by street I mean midtown -- and feel that people are "getting it right."

Let's start with the trend itself. Some of them are just plain shit. These are traps you must avoid at all costs. A few come to mind:

  • Uggs
  • Boots with peep toe
  • Slingbacks (I see no point exposing the ugliest part of the foot)
  • Boots that are half boot, half sandal
  • cropped ballet sweaters (luckily only lasted one season)
  • gypsy skirts
To name a few (that I can think of). Yes, these are just fashion's way of getting you to spend your hard earned money on stuff you will hate later. You have to understand that these ugly trends only look good on models because everything looks good on models, that's what they get paid for, to make ugly shit look good. 

And then, there are trends that are really cool that inspire very ugly derivatives at lower costs. Here are a few I've seen people get wrong:

Over the Knee. Gag.

  • Skinny jeans or leggings tucked into riding boots. I love this trend, it is my everyday uniform. I hope it never goes away. And yet, I see people around me with the wrong kind of flat boot, the wrong kind of jean tuck and it makes the whole outfit wrong. Take for instance the Robin Hood over the knee boot. It is quite possibly the ugliest thing I've ever seen on a human, and yet people have fallen victim to this unflattering look. You're not going on a fly fishing trip, or stealing from the rich to give to the poor, or Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. Give this one up, folks.
  • In general, boots that look like they belong in the medieval era are pretty much out for me.
  • Regular pants tucked into boots: When fabric protrudes or bunches up at the top of the boot, then it's just plain shit. It looks like the boot is only there for temporary purposes on one's way to work, for instance, before the "real shoes" come on. 
  • The engineer ankle boot and the western style ankle boot. I love this look. After many years of jeans tucked into high shaft boots, we needed an alternative, and this offers a good counterpoint. Finally, shoes! And with this shoe, it doesn't matter if pants do all sorts of funky things down at the bottom. But then, people wear boots that are made to look old and weathered. Some people wear boots that have like, pre-fabricated creases in them. This is so wrong and so ugly I can barely deal. And I don't even care about fashion, so if I can't deal, just imagine how other people who care do. 
  • And finally, boots that have spikes coming out of the heel. Or spikes anywhere for that matter. I have a phobia of lots of little things bunched up together, some say it's because it reminds me of disease, so I feel a little nauseated when I look at these boots.


Pre Fab Creases

Shudder

No comments:

Post a Comment