Sunday, November 18, 2012

A Celebration of Britain

For the past couple months, I've been engaged in a number of British television programs and films that have heightened my appreciation for the place and the people. In fact, the cumulative effect of watching such programs has been that of minor fascination. I think fascination occurs when you learn as much as you can about something (a lifestyle, a country, a movement, a part of history for example) or someone (someone you might admire greatly, not necessarily a celebrity), but you will never be truly part of that "thing" or person. You can get as close as you possibly can without being able to grasp it. Fascination cannot occur without an insurmontable obstacle. For instance, I have encountered many Francophiles in my life; people who aren't French but love everything about France and its culture. And they can only be that way because they aren't French. But I have more intimate knowledge of the place. It is part of who I am even though I don't live there anymore or go back very often, and so I see its qualities but I also see its faults and this balances my point of view and tempers my opinion. And because I'm inherently part of France, by blood and culture, there is no insurmontable mystery to me. 


So here is a list of awesome British shit that I've seen as of late. 

1) House of Cards
 I've mentioned this before. Fictional British series that chronicles the brilliantly Machiavellian power plays of of Sir Francis Urquart (F.U. for short) in the British parliament. One of the best shows I've seen on television. 



2) Prime Suspect
A British television series centered around Helen Mirren, a police detective who solves murders in a very male dominated environment. It's a little like a Law & Order type except each episode is 2 hours and it stars Helen Mirren who is the bomb. I'd say more Homeland than Law & Order. 











3) 24 Hour Party People
About the music scene in Manchester in the early 80s to early 90s. Tony Wilson, the British TV host, is at the center of the film and narrates how Joy Division, New Order and Happy Mondays got their start through his Factory Records "experiment". Also, the start of rave culture. He's an upper middle classer who loves Manchester, which is one of his biggest motivators. I mean, who knew you could love that dreary old place so much?




4) The Filth & The Fury
A Documentary about the rise and fall of the Sex Pistols as told by its surviving members. Johnny Rotten is a visionary and the soul of that band.










What all these shows have in common is a deep love that flows for Britain despite its rain and fog and class wars and, actually, probably because of all these things. God Save the Queen (she ain't no human being). The relationship the English have with their beloved country can be summed up in that simple yet complex lyric, in my opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment