Monday, February 25, 2013

The Post Oscar Depression Sets In

Now that the Oscars are over, I feel sort of depressed that I will no longer be having lengthy, pointless conversations about "what deserves to win and what will win." So to prolong the moment a little more, and to add to the fray of post Oscar media analysis, here is my own list of stuff that stood out at the Oscars. Beware of some negatory stuff.

1) Everyone loves to hate the host, but I thought Seth McFarlane was quite funny and not too mean. There was a lot of talk about racist, sexist, homophobic jokes, but you know, I don't know if you've noticed but all those things exist in the world and make for great comedy. Often times, these jokes are a good way to hold up a mirror to ourselves with a spoonful of sugar, and say: look at who you are, society. Are you proud? Personally, I enjoy a good racist, sexist, homophobic joke on occasion, so just chill. 

2) Why did we have to celebrate musical films? What about just celebrating film-films? Or if we need a theme, how about we celebrate costumes in film? Or historical films?  I hate musical films. I hated Chicago. I have no desire to see Les Miz, the movie. There was only one musical film nominated and we make a whole spiel about celebrating this genre? Then why wouldn't they do anything about West Side Story? It was the best musical film made thanks to the genius of Jerome Robbins and Leonard Bernstein. The best performance of the evening was Jennifer Hudson who is so consistently good that it's almost taken for granted (did anyone discuss America the Beautiful during the Superbowl? No). Shirley Bassey was pretty good. I wouldn't say that she "crushed it" or "murdered it" or "sleighed it" as I've been reading around the nets. I thought she was ok, period.

3) There were a slew of awkward moments:
- Paul Rudd and Melissa McCarthy, I couldn't tell you what that mess was. 
- When the Visual Effects winner's speech got cut off by the Jaws theme music right when he was talking about Rythm & Hues' bankruptcy. It was kind of mean. 
- I have no idea what the Avengers actors said.
- Renee Zellweger's squint and sway. I was worried she was going to pass out. She looked depressed.
- Anne Hathaway's cradling of the Oscar like a baby when she said "it came true!" Ugh. Just grow your hair already and everyone will start liking you again.

4) The Twilight Zone moment of the show goes to Michelle Obama's appearance for the Best Film award. It was plain wrong. While you can certainly draw parallels between Hollywood and Washington, we cannot have these two super-merging in real life. We need one to keep the other in check, get it? They'd be breaking antitrust laws, and the American people would have to sue: "The People versus the Way Too Dangerously United, States of America." Ugh. Just wrong.

5) Sandra Bullock should present more. When I see her coming out, I feel relief, like "phew Sandra Bullock is presenting. It will be coherent and simple, thank God." Girl is a pro.

6) I predict Kristin Stewart's career will go down the drains now that Twilight is over UNLESS she is smart and only sticks to roles in which her character is aloof and monotone.

7) It's only this year that I realized that Daniel Day Lewis was married to Rebecca Miller and not Penelope Ann Miller. I've been spreading lies for years and now I'm just gonna have to live with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment