Friday, March 15, 2013

The Invincible Playlist

Here are some songs* that I listen to occasionally while walking around the city. They're a little dangerous in that they make me feel invincible, often leading me to throw caution to the wind, get into all sorts of unsafe situations and, you know, middle finger to the Law, generally speaking.

I apologize for any ads you might encounter if you click on the links. It's not my fault.

1) Black Republican by Nas and Jay-Z
I feel like a Black Republican, money I got comin' in. I love how being Republican in the US is synonymous with being a rich capitalist. 

2) Dirt Off Your Shoulder by Jay Z
Really it's Timbaland's beat that clinches the invincible feeling. 
Check out Jay-Z's face when he hears the beat for the first time.

3) The Wanderer by Dion
I kiss'em and I love'em cause to me they're all the same.
Dion is such a bad ass.

4) Comfortably Numb by Van Morrison and Pink Floyd
I've reviewed this song at length somewhere else, but basically, this is the greatest version of Comfortably Numb ever created. Plus it's the last live performance on record in which Van doesn't sound like he has marbles in his mouth. 

5) Walk Like a Man by The Four Seasons
Who doesn't love a good fuck-you song. Don't let the pretty voices fool you.

6) Every Picture Tells a Story by Rod Stewart
This song mastered the rare art of an awesome and explosive beginning.  If you set out on your journey starting with this, there's no stopping you. 

7) Walk the Walk by Poe
I understand some people think this song is idiotic. I totally love it, unapologetically.

8) The World is Yours by Nas
Born alone, die alone, no crew to keep my crown or throne.
Sometimes I'm walkin' around like the world be mine all up in this place.

9) Represent by Nas
Sometimes I'm walkin' around like straight up shit is real and any day could be your last in the jungle, as if I know what that means.

10) Just Dance by Lady Gaga
This song got me through the year 2008.

11) Outshined by Soundgarden
Kim Thayil's guitar riff is enough to give you that feeling of like, hells yeah I can do anything, even though the song is about the polar opposite of that. 

12) Them Bones and Would by Alice in Chains
Layne Staley's voice: just holy shit. He proved later on not to be invincible. rip.

13) Take it Easy by the Eagles
Might not be an obvious choice to some, but I've been on an Eagles revival of late so just chill out and appreciate the pure Americaness of this band.

14) The Weight by The Band from the Last Waltz
First of all, who wouldn't want someone to be like, hey, take a load of Dianee and put the load on me. Second of all, this version is so good it hurts a little. 

15) It Ain't Me, Babe by Bob Dylan
The quintessential I ain't-your-hero-leave-me-the-hell-alone song. 

16) Lean on Me by Bill Withers
On the total flip side, this is one of the best songs ever written. 

17) Shook Ones by Mobb Deep
I'm only 19 but my mind is older. N'uff.

18) Tostaky by Noir Desir
Let's not give a fuck, act like we're nothing (something of a literal translation). The lead singer of this band killed his girlfriend, but let's not talk about that. 

19) IV My People by Supreme NTM and a million guest MCs
Who knew that hip hop would work so well in French (like so well)? For that we have the disgruntled to thank (thank you).

20) Bad Boys by Bob Marley
Since this song is synonymous with COPS, I can't help but think of myself as an outlaw while listening to it. 

21) Tell it Like it Is by Aaron Neville
You might not agree with this choice, but you should know that I belong to the school of thought that believes Aaron Neville's voice is a treasure. He sings like this sensitive dude, with that beautifully unique voice of his, something that is actually strong and so completely un-wussy.

22) Taa Deem by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
I don't think I can describe this feeling in a succinct manner. 

23) Green River by Creedence etc.
There's an undeniable bad ass attitude in this little number. 

24) 20th Century Boy by T-Rex
Throwing this one in for good measure. It's the riff, man.

It's not lost on me that my list doesn't really scratch the surface of the 21st century. There are reasons for that, none of which I feel like discussing right now. Have fun!

*This list is practically non-exhaustive, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment