Sunday, January 5, 2014

I had a dream about the show New Girl starring Zooey Deschanel as a cute pixie teacher who moves into a loft with three guys. I had never seen it before, but I had seen the movie Drinking Buddies that starred one of the guys from the show, Jake Johnson, and since Jake Johnson is a good looking man, I obviously looked him up. Drinking Buddies is ok, not great, but enjoyable for a plane ride.

So this weird subconscious thing happened because I had a dream about New Girl on Friday night. I have no idea what was in it. Maybe a bunch of promos strung together, but I woke up needing to see this show like my life depended on it. I fully expected it to suck because I had seen one episode of that other popular network show, Two Broke Girls, and that royally sucked. I figured New Girl would be similar and Zooey, though I like her in general, would probably annoy me. 

I was actually dead wrong. The show is hilarballs (I invented that, it'll catch on). I've been binging on it for the past two days. It's physically impossible to stay away from a show featuring good looking people being hilarious. And while I feel slightly gross for not accomplishing much this weekend besides going to a Pilates class and making soup, I know this journey down the road of improbable and enviable scenarios will eventually end with the end of season 2 on Netflix. These things always do, sadly, but thankfully. The show also made me understand why Olivia Wilde was not very good in Drinking Buddies. Olivia just tries too hard to channel Zooey Deschanel, attempting to recreate the exact same dynamic with Jake Johnson that Zooey has with him on New Girl. Her self consciousness made me cringe for her a bit. I mean, I ain't crying for Olivia Wilde, but if I was a successful good looking actress in my own right, I might a little. She clearly thinks her prettiness is an issue, and by trying so hard to downplay it, she becomes a shitty actress. And you can also tell that this sort of bothers her, that deep down she thinks she's a fraud. Man, I have just psychoanalyzed the hell out of Olivia Wilde with just one movie. I am a jenius. 

No comments:

Post a Comment