Saturday, February 25, 2012

Week of February 20, The Week Before Vacation

I should clarify something in last week's post, as it appears that I was against the 2008 TARP bail-outs. I understand that I don't understand everything. I also know that all this complex derivative stuff was so complex that even people who worked in the industry didn't understand it either. In any event, I do get that it was critical to restore confidence in the banking system, lest we should end up with the Apocolypse. What annoys me personally is the selective bailing-out and hypocrisy of the whole thing. I am realist, but I still feel the American people were jipped. Life's unfair, oh well. Ok, on to what we're here for.

1) Bonnie Raitt and Mavis Staples, Beacon Theater in June


I'm excited to say I'm going to see these two great ladies of music at the Beacon in June. Bonnie Raitt is one cool chick. First, she's written some beautiful songs. Second, she's got a wonderfully distinctive and cool voice. Third, she is one of the rare women in the world of rock music that plays the slide guitar. She is reliable, ever-present, ever-steady, one of the boys, one of the girls, passe-partout. Like, Sheryl Crowe wants to be Bonnie Raitt but never will be because she just isn't as good (I have nothing against her personally). if I could emulate a career and a personal style, it would be Bonnie's. Mavis Staples comes from the illustrious Staples family. She too has a very distinctive and recognizable voice. Her father was named Roebuck. What a bad ass name.


2) Season 2 of Game of Thrones
How's a girl to fill the gaping void left by the season finale of Downton Abbey? Well, I'm happy to say that another English- accented show is starting up again in April: Game of Thrones, Season 2. Thank God. I will have a reason to live again. In April.


3) American Experience: The Clintons
It wasn't that long ago, but it sure seems like it was. When Clinton was president, we were living in a different world. So I watched this documentary to remind myself of what happened during those times. The documentary definitely tries hard to be balanced, though most of the people interviewed were clearly pro-Clinton. That said, I had totally forgotten about the shut-down of the government which was caused by a stand-off over the federal budget between then speaker Newt Gingrich and Clinton. The disagreement was specifically about cutting Medicare and Medicaid funding as part of a plan to reduce the deficit. Gingrich wanted it, Clinton was not against reducing the deficit, but wanted to examine other places to cut that were not as critical as healthcare. As someone whose immediate family has had expensive surgery covered by Medicare, I find it hard to stomach any cut to something that important. This country is tough enough on its sick and weak, don't you think? Gingrich's defiant stance leads me to believe that he doesn't have much respect for the office of the presidency in the first place. I'm not really sure why he's running, except for the fact that he is clearly a megalomaniac. I do agree with his stance on education though. And he certainly can be cheerful (see Arizona debate).
                          
4) AdSense ---->
Check out the cool ads to your right (and feel free to click).
So far, I've made 42 cents. 






No comments:

Post a Comment