Saturday, February 4, 2012

Week of January 30

1) PBS: Empires, The Medici Godfathers of the Renaissance
    

An in-depth look at the Medici family and their influence on one of the most renowned eras in history. Let's face it, they bankrolled the Renaissance. Really, without PBS and Netflix, I would be an ignorant fool. Instead, I am an arrogant bastard.










2) The New Yorker "Goings-On" App
So, this is a great idea. I receive the New Yorker at home, like a good New Yorker, but like most New Yorkers, I can't keep up with my stack of New Yorkers. The articles are too long and I rarely finish them. But that said, I do like their Goings On section and I always regret getting to it late because I'm three issues behind. This app remedies that problem with instant access on your mobile device! Whenever and wherever I need it! I can search on the go! I hope this means I'm gonna do more stuff in New York.



3) Update on "Haiti: Where Did the Money" Go Documentary
I just wanted to let you know when this doc will be airing so youse can see it. OK? It's going to be on PBS, channel 13, on Feb 19 at midnight (or Feb 20 if you want to be horlogically correct). If this time changes, I will let you know. In the meantime, check out this article by columnist Clarence Page about Michele's documentary.

4) Maggie Smith is My Betty White
Lady Grantham is the best character on Downton Abbey. She has the best lines in the show and the best delivery of said lines. Plus she's often the one pulling the strings in the background, acting like an aristocratic Trojan Horse carefully placing ideas in people's heads under the guise of, well, something aristocratic. One of my favorite retorts takes place when she's talking to her daughter, Rosamund:


Rosamund: You know me, Mother, I always have to speak my mind.
Lady Grantham: But why? Nobody else does.


And not that I dislike Betty White in any way. She is lovely. But if I had to pick amongst the old lady actresses of the world, Maggie Smith would be my girl all the way. 


5) Fridays
Fridays are like Soup for the Psyche. They are the best part of the entire weekend. Because Fridays are all about the anticipation of the weekend, but not the weekend itself. The hope for a better day, but not the day itself. And anyone can tell you, fantasizing about the weekend, is just a little bit better than the actual weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment