Saturday, August 4, 2012

Vacation, Elusive Vacation

Facebook has succeeded in its goal of making me hate anyone who was on vacation in July and boasted about it (under the guise of just wanting to share! And to keep me updated!). If you were on vacation and posted a picture about it, then I probably viewed it disgruntled and swearing, because I was stuck in New York indoors in the air conditioning, and on occasion, Brighton or Long Beach with thousands of others. Facebook: 1, Diane: 0. I acknowledge that I've posted photos in nice places and I apologize to you, because I didn't realize how annoying that must have been. That said, I will probably continue doing so because Facebook does a nice job editing down my photos and making me pick the best ones that are worth annoyingly sharing. I don't usually feel this way about posters of pictures, but July was a particularly oppressive month. 


Now, If you were doing other things in July like giving birth or going to Rockaway beach, then you're all right with me. 


I recognize that this is all my doing. Could I have planned a vacation for July? Probably. Did I realize that actually, July was the best time for me to plan a vacation? Late, but yes. Do I now find myself in a situation that vacation will be hard for me to take in the coming months due to my schedule? Yes. But take vacation I will, dammit. I will find a way to use those precious few days so generously allocated to me even if it means going to a place because it's convenient. My dream, which came to me late in a bout of inspiration, is to go to New Foundland. Visit Gros Morne national park, hike and boat ride, then go see where the vikings landed at L'Anse aux Meadows and finally stop in at St. Johns, the capital. For reasons that are out of my control, I'm not going. But I will one day, possibly next year, and probably in July.


This is what I'll be missing:
Gros Morne National Park

Gros Morne National Park
St. Johns

L'Aunse aux Meadows


Instead, I am taking a shorter vacation in October on the island of Nevis (recommended by a friend who knows these things). It's a lot shorter than I was hoping, but that's ok. I will make sure to take plenty of mysterious, cool pictures and post them on Facebook so I can share and just keep you updated.





No comments:

Post a Comment