Thursday, September 20, 2012

1) Please Fall, hurry up
I will go on record in saying that this summer sucked. Too hot, too many people, no vacation. I usually like summer a lot: beach, swimming, social life, drinks. Not so this year. In fact, I can't wait for Fall and Winter. In fact, I hope this winter is freezing and snowy and slushy and disgusting. I will be so psyched. This past year we had no winter and a very hot summer; the cold days were few and far between. That's just not the way to go, God. We need to earn our summers, this isn't, like, Southern California. 

2) This Bob Marley Documentary
This documentary is "the definitive, family authorized account of Bob Marley's life." Though hard to imagine that an unauthorized biography would contain anything too controversial (I mean, who doesn't like Bob Marley? Maybe a scorned woman here or there?). They address head on the fact that he had 11 kids with 7 different women. Imagine dealing with the inheritance issues that occurred after his death. Marley didn't believe in estate planning -- in fact putting the words Bob Marley and Estate Planning in the same sentence just feels downright sacrilegious. It actually was a religious Rastafarian thing for him; Rastafaris don't believe in death-- how convenient for them. He probably also didn't want to die and fought it as much as he could. So his family was essentially screwed for a little while, and there were legal battles galore over his estate (this is from post-movie research not the film itself). The night I watched, I was unable to sleep and lay in half slumber with visions of Marley floating around in my head and songs like One Love and Exodus in my ears. His death sealed his legend, but it was untimely and an awful way to go for someone so full of energy and love of life and people. I actually felt emotionally affected by this. I can't help but notice that historically, the best of us always seem to die early and the worst of us live on for an eternity. There really should be a scientific study about that.

3) The only viable politician right now is Hilary Clinton
I'm not psyched that Romney is basically digging himself into a deeper and deeper hole. It pains me, actually, because I would rather have two strong candidates in the race. Instead, Romney is gaffing his way out of the election on stupid remarks, off the cuff or not, and Obama looks like Christ incarnate in comparison. I agree with David Brooks on this:
Personally, I think [Romney's] a kind, decent man who says stupid things because he is pretending to be something he is not — some sort of cartoonish government-hater. But it scarcely matters. He’s running a depressingly inept presidential campaign.
"Depressingly inept" is the key thought here. I want the Republican party of yesterday. Where art they? We cannot live in a nation where only one party is able to talk common sense because that leads to a a steady decline in the quality of debate and dialogue in our country. It brings us all down to a lowest common denominator and makes us stupid, whilst believing we are clever. There's no real advancement taking place because we are stuck in the weeds of debating very basic things. Now, I am pretty disenchanted by our government and the election these days, so one beacon of hope that I am still holding out for is Hilary Clinton who seems to be the most competent politician we have. My vote will go to her in 2016 assuming she runs (and she should). Until then, I will take the path of most New Yorkers and vote on social issues because hells if I know which economic or tax policy is actually going to "create jobs" or be "generally effective."

4) And now, for some good news
Eric Kayser opened a bakery and restaurant two blocks away from my house (upper east side, I'm telling you). Apparently, he has been in business in France for 10 years and has made a killing there. I can understand this because he makes the best bread I've ever eaten in my life. And I've eaten a lot of bread. And good bread, too, because let's not forget the five years I spent in Paris. And let's not forget that New York offers the best French products money can buy. So for me to say that this is the best bread I've ever eaten is a pretty huge, people. Respect, Kayser. 

No comments:

Post a Comment